As swaths of Northern California remain ablaze—with fires encroaching on Santa Rosa and the East Bay—more than 2.3 million people sit in the dark after Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) shut off power in attempt to prevent more ignitions.
The utility says that it will begin restoring electrical service to households and business Monday, but it also warns that new shutoffs are on the way, possibly as early as Tuesday morning.
PG&E does not have a specific restart time for most areas.
“The potential Tuesday safety shutoff is planned for varying start times depending on location throughout PG&E’s service area and is expected to impact portions of 32 counties in the Northern and Southern Sierra, North Bay, Bay Area and Santa Cruz mountains, North Coast and Kern County,” the company said Tuesday.
The affected areas could include parts of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Sonoma, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Napa counties.
Use this map to see if your address will be affected by the blackouts.
Forecasts say the high winds and dry conditions precipitating the outages will last until Thursday morning.
Although PG&E has not yet restored power to all customers as of Monday morning, the company said it had turned the juice back on for some 30,000 residences by late Sunday.
“PG&E has begun safety patrols and inspections in the ‘all clear’ in several counties before sundown, and will resume at first daylight on Monday,” says the company says
Some of the current outages will last through Tuesday and Wednesday, as one blackout period rolls over into another.
By the company’s own estimates, those in the dark include over 11,000 “medical baseline customers”—i.e., homes that include people who require special or intensive at-home medical care that may be difficult or impossible without power.
PG&E still maintains resource centers throughout the Bay Area for those affected by outages. The current list includes:
- UC Berkeley, Clark Kerr, Southwest Parking Lot 1, Tanglewood Road, Berkeley
- Merritt Community College, 12500 Campus Drive, Oakland
- Hayward Kmart, 26231 Mission Boulevard, Hayward
- Tice Valley Community Center, 2055 Tice Valley Boulevard, Walnut Creek
- St. Mary’s College, 1928 St. Mary’s Road, Moraga
- Balfour-Guthrie Park, 1701 Balfour Road, Brentwood
- Costco, 4801 Central Avenue, Richmond
- 115 San Pablo Avenue, Novato
- Albert J. Boro Community Center, 50 Canal Street, San Rafael
- Marin City Health & Wellness Center, 630 Drake Avenue, Sausalito
- Napa Valley Expo, 575 Third Street, Napa
- Saint Helena Catholic School, 1255 Oak Avenue, Saint Helena
- Pacifica Community Center, 540 Crespi Drive, Pacifica
- San Mateo Event Center, 2495 South Delaware, Gate 13, San Mateo
- La Honda Fire Brigade, 8945 La Honda Road, La Honda
- Costco, 7251 Camino Arroyo, Gilroy
- East Valley Family YMCA, 1975 S White Road, San Jose
- S&S Supply Solutions, 2700 Maxwell Way, Fairfield
- Lowe’s, 1751 E Monte Vista Avenue, Vacaville
- Solano County Fairgrounds, 900 Fairgrounds Drive, Vallejo.
- Cloverdale Citrus Fair, 1 Citrus Fair, Cloverdale
- Hanna Boys Center, 17000 Arnold Drive, Sonoma