Update: You can watch Outside Lands from the comfort of your sofa. TuneIn will lie stream select sets from the festival on its Outside Lands Radio channel. There’s also Outside Lands radio for your listening pleasure.
Beginning Friday and lasting until Sunday night, San Francisco’s tribute and mass worship of Janet Jackson—aka, the 11th annual Outside Lands Music and Arts festival—will take place in Golden Gate Park. Scores of people will pour into Golden Gate Park to see Miss Jackson, Janelle Monáe, Florence + the Machine, the Weekend, and other performers take the stage.
Such a stellar lineup will, alas, come astronomical traffic and transit nightmares for locals, as the annual event is anticipated to draw roughly 225,000 people over the course of three days.
Per Richmond Blog SF, venues in Golden Gate Park include the Polo Fields (main stage), Hellman Hollow, Marx Meadow, and Lindley Meadow. Gates open at 11 a.m. Friday through Sunday, with music beginning noon and ending at 10 p.m. (9:40pm on Sunday).
Here’s how to get to the park—and how to get out.
How to get to Outside Lands
- BART and Muni: Muni will offer supplemental service on the N Judah, 5 Fulton and 5R Fulton Rapid from Friday to Sunday. Nightly, Muni will also provide 5X Fulton Express, which runs from Golden Gate Park to Civic Center Station.
- AC Transit: Take the AC Transit Transbay Express or F Line across the Bay Bridge from Transbay Terminal, walk to Montgomery Street Station, hop on the N Judah to 19th Avenue and Judah Street. Walk north on 19th Avenue to Golden Gate Park.
- Shuttle service: Pre-paid shuttle service will be available from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium at Civic Center to the south entrance of Outside Lands in Golden Gate Park. Shuttles run daily from 11 a..m - 11 p.m. Last shuttle leaves the festival site at 11:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 11 p.m. on Sunday. A three-day shuttle pass is $48.
- Golden Gate Transit: Hop on the Golden Gate Transit Bus #70/71 to Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza. Transfer to Muni route 28 to Daly City, exiting at Fulton and walk west to the festival entrance.
- Bikes: Valet bicycle parking will be provided from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m. at Hellman Hollow near Transverse and Overlook Drive. There is additional self park bike parking along JFK from Transverse down to Stow Lake and on MLK (near the South Gate). You can also find JUMP bike-shares on JFK Drive at Transverse.
- Lyft pickups and drop-offs: Lyft will have six locations available via the app at the following locations: 39th Avenue and Cabrillo, 24th Avenue and Cabrillo, G.W. High School, Irving and Sunset, 25th Avenue and Irving, and 18th Avenue and Irving.
- Taxi stands: Three locations on Fulton at 24th and 25th avenues, Fulton at 29th and 30th avenues, and Fulton at 35th and 36th avenues.
- Driving: Don’t even think about it. Just don’t.
N Judah and 5R Fulton: Muni will provide extra service on the N Judah and 5R Fulton Rapid. Each night of the festival, Muni will provide 5X Fulton Express service from Golden Gate Park to Civic Center Station.
The N Judah will have extra trains along the full route; extra buses on Fulton will have different destination signs so you can tell them apart from buses operating on regular schedules. See below for the detailed information.
- The 7 Haight/Noriega, 7R Haight/Noriega Rapid, 28 19th Avenue, 28R 19th Avenue Rapid, 29 Sunset, and 44 O’Shaughnessy bus lines around Golden Gate Park will be packed. Proceed with caution.
- The N Judah light-rail will also be congested.
Car access to inside the park will be limited starting the night of Thursday, August 9 beginning at 8 p.m. and ending Sunday, August 13 at 11 p.m. This includes all roads in the west side of the park from Transverse Drive to the Great Highway.
The following entrances to the park will be closed to the public:
On north side of the park:
- Transverse Dr at Crossover Dr
- JFK Dr at Transverse Dr
- 30th Avenue
- 36th Avenue
- 43rd Avenue (Chain of Lakes)
- 47th Avenue
- The Great Highway at JFK Drive
On the south side:
- Martin Luther King Jr Drive at Crossover Drive
- 25th Avenue
- Sunset Boulevard at Irving Street
- 41st Avenue (Chain of Lakes)
- Martin Luther King Jr Dr at Lincoln Avenue
Access for attendees with disabilities
- People with disabilities can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodations. Otherwise, more information can be found here.
- Seriously, folks, do not drive to Outside Lands! Parking in and around Golden Gate Park and the Inner Sunset will be as messy as it will be impenetrable. Parking in the park is extremely limited and there are no parking garages in the vicinity. (Consider yourselves warned.)
- Limited parking can be found on Fulton or Lincoln Way.
- Eater SF has the scoop on what and where to eat at Outside Lands 2018. Dig in.
- Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival [official site]
- Outside Lands Supplemental Service [SFMTA]
- 2018 Neighbor’s Guide to the 11th annual Outside Lands Music Festival [Richmond SF Blog]