The 41th annual Carnaval celebration, with this year’s theme being “la cultura cura/culture heals,” gets underway this weekend in the Mission District. The neighborhood festival will take place on Harrison Street from 16th Street to 24th Street, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. But its vibe will be seen and felt almost everywhere throughout the Inner Mission south of Valencia.
The annual two-day event features dance, music, food, and a glorious (not to mention much-needed) appreciation of the Mission District’s history.
Founded by a group of artists in 1979, the festival was first held in Precita Park and later in Dolores Park before centering in the heart of the Mission on Harrison Street between 16th and 24th Streets. The entire affair spans nearly eighth blocks.
On Sunday, the grand parade will commence at 9:30 a.m. at 24th and Bryant streets, move down 24th Street to Mission Street, then turn north towards 17th Street and South Van Ness Avenue.
How to get there
BART: The 16th Street and 24th Street stations will get you there.
Muni: The 9 San Bruno, 12 Folsom-Pacific, 14 Mission/14R Mission Rapid, 22 Fillmore, 27 Bryant, 33 Ashbury/18th St., 48 Quintara/24th Street, 49 Van Ness/Mission, 55 16th Street and 67 Bernal Heights routes will take you close to the festival.
Muni reroutes and service notes
The 12, 14/14R, 27, 33, 48, 49, 55 and 67 will see reroutes. The 9 and 22 routes may see increased ridership and delays. Here’s the breakdown:
- The 12 Folsom/Pacific will reroute onto Valencia between Cesar Chavez and 13th St
- The 14 Mission and 14R Mission Rapid will reroute onto Valencia between Cesar Chavez and Division.
- The 22 Fillmore will reroute onto Division/13th St between Bryant and Valencia
- The 27 Bryant will reroute onto Potrero between Cesar Chavez and 16th St
- The 33 Ashbury/18th Street will reroute onto Duboce/13th St/Division between Guerrero and Bryant
- The 48 Quintara/24th Street will reroute onto Cesar Chavez between Valencia and Potrero
- The 49 Mission/Van Ness will reroute onto Valencia between Cesar Chavez and 13th St
- The 55 16th Street will not serve Mission Street stops
- The 67 Bernal Heights will not serve 24th Street stop
Street closures for Sunday
The following streets will be closed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the parade, staging, and breakdown on Sunday.
- 15th St, between Mission and Alabama
- 24th St, between York and Mission
- Bryant, between 17th St and Cesar Chavez
- Harrison, between 15th and 16th streets
- Mission, between 15th and 24th streets
- Treat, between Harrison and Alameda