The semi-regular illumination of the fog might not happen come Monday night. Instead, the National Weather Service calls for clears skies, which means that the fireworks for New Year’s Eve at the Embarcadero will actually be seen above the Bay. We’re talking 1080p at 60 fps visuals, folks. Clarity shall ensue.
The annual fireworks display will happen at midnight, Monday, December 31, along the Embarcadero from Mission to Folsom.
Where to watch the fireworks in San Francisco
The Embarcadero is the first choice for many tourists and bridge-and-tunnel partiers. But there’s no need to stand directly in front of the Ferry Building to witness the pyrotechnics.
According to Fun Cheap SF, “The fireworks will launch from barges located 1,000 feet out in the bay, just south of the Ferry Building near Pier 14 (Mission Street and The Embarcadero), so the best viewing spots will be south of the Ferry Building along the Embarcadero between Mission and Folsom Street,” while pointing out that “standing in front of the Ferry Building will not be a good place to view the fireworks” since it gets too crowded with revelers and views can be blocked by the Ferry Building.
Other great places to see the fireworks: Telegraph Hill, Treasure Island, and Russian Hill.
How to watch the fireworks from the comfort of your sofa
KRON 4 will broadcast a live show before and during the fireworks display.
BART and Muni transit for New Year’s Eve
- Special service to and from San Francisco begins at 8 p.m. and runs until 3 a.m. Trains will run every 20 minutes after midnight with extra trains waiting in downtown San Francisco after the fireworks show ends.
- Be advised that certain train lines going in and out of San Francisco during and after the fireworks spectacle will not stop at the Embarcadero, Montgomery, and West Oakland stations.
Heading into San Francisco after 8 p.m.:
- Antioch and Richmond line trains arriving into San Francisco will not stop at Embarcadero Station. Exit at Montgomery Street Station for the fireworks show.
- Dublin/Pleasanton and South Fremont/Warm Springs line trains will not stop at Montgomery Street Station. Exit at Embarcadero Station to see the fireworks show.
- Trains from Millbrae, Daly City, and SFO will stop at all stations in San Francisco.
After the fireworks end:
- Antioch and Richmond line trains will not stop at Embarcadero Station. Use MontgomeryStreet Station to board these trains.
- Dublin/Pleasanton and South Fremont/Warm Springs line trains will not stop at Montgomery Street Station. Use Embarcadero Station to catch these trains.
- Dublin/Pleasanton and South Fremont/Warm Springs line trains will not stop at West Oakland. The first East Bay stop will be Lake Merritt Station. You will need to change to a SF-bound train at Lake Merritt if you need to return to West Oakland.
- Millbrae, Daly City, and SFO passengers should use Montgomery Street Station.
- Staring at 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve, December 31, and running until 5 a.m. on New Year’s Day all Muni service will be free. No need to tag your Clipper Card or activate your Muni Mobile ticket during the free period.
- Service on New Year’s Eve between West Portal Station and Fourth and King will run from 9 p.m. until 2:15 a.m., and between West Portal and Embarcadero stations from 2:15 to 4 a.m.
- There will also be extra Owl service from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.