Update: People heading to today’s Giants game should be aware of reroutes happening around AT&T Park. Also of note, beginning at 8 a.m., shuttles will operate in lieu of Muni service on Market Street.
Sunday marks the 38th annual San Francisco Marathon. While participants (up to 20,000 expected) eat carbs and don their finest jogging gear before taking to city streets, those of us not partaking in the yearly shin-splint fest should take note of the minor Muni disruptions and the many—many—street closures happening.
Also of importance, Sunday is a game day. So traffic will be even more congested than usual.
The annual San Francisco Marathon will begin from The Embarcadero and Mission Street at 5:30 a.m., with staggered starts from 5:30 a.m. until 6:30 a.m. The race route will loop north along The Embarcadero, through the Presidio, the outer Richmond District, Golden Gate Park, the Haight, the Mission District, Inner Bayview and back to The Embarcadero. Roughly 20,000 runners are expected to attend this year’s race.
The ultramarathon, a 52.4-mile marathon that completes two loops, begins at midnight.
As for Muni disruptions on Sunday, here’s the story from SFMTA: “The 6 Haight/Parnassus, 7 Haight/Noriega, 10 Townsend, 19 Polk, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 28 19th Avenue, 29 Sunset, 33 Ashbury/18th Street, 37 Corbett, 43 Masonic, 44 O’Shaughnessy, 48 Quintara/24th Street, and 55 16th Street routes will be rerouted.”
And here are your Sunday street closures, per the SF Marathon site:
The Embarcadero – 12:01 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Northbound Embarcadero/King St. will be closed from 3rd St. to Broadway.
- Southbound Embarcadero will be closed from Broadway to Harrison.
Fisherman’s Wharf – 5 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
- On Jefferson Street between Northpoint and Hyde, no vehicles will be allowed.
- Golden Gate Bridge Roadway Lanes – 1:00am to 10:00am
- Southbound traffic: from 1:00am to 10:00am, expect delays crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. There will be southbound traffic lanes open at all times.
- Northbound traffic: from 6:00am to 9:00am, all northbound traffic will be closed across the Golden Gate Bridge. Vehicles should use the Bay Bridge to the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge instead.
- Northbound traffic will resume by 9:00am. The entire roadway will return to normal operation by 10:00am.
Golden Gate Bridge Exit and Parking Area – 12 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Please see this 2017 press release for more info.
- The last northbound San Francisco exit, off Doyle Drive and just before the toll plaza, will be closed from midnight to 10:00 am.
- The southeast parking lot will also be closed from midnight to 10:00 am.
- The first southbound exit after the toll plaza onto Merchant Road will have no access beyond the toll plaza itself and no access into the Presidio from Midnight to 10:00 am.
- Vista Point exit (northeast side) and the Vista Point parking lot will be closed from midnight to 10:00 am.
Presidio and Golden Gate National Recreation Area – 12 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- From midnight to 10:00am, there will be no access to the Golden Gate Bridge through the Presidio.
- Lincoln Blvd. and all intersections onto Lincoln Blvd. from the 25th Ave. gate to Lendrum Ct. will be closed from4:30 am to 10:00am.
- Baker Beach residents may enter and exit the housing areas via the service road from Battery Caulfield. Traffic will be allowed access and egress from Brooks Court and Baker Court via Lincoln Blvd..
- Mason Street and all intersections onto Mason Street will be closed from the Marina Gate to Crissy Field Avenue from 4:30 am to 10:00am.
- Crissy Field Avenue will be closed from 4:30 am to 10:00am.
Richmond District – 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Eastbound and Westbound Vehicle Traffic should expect delays at 26th Ave. and 27th Ave.
- 26th and 27th Avenues from Fulton Street to Lake Street closed to through traffic. Cross traffic will be allowed intermittently on California, Clement, Geary, Balboa or Cabrillo. Expect significant delays.
- Residents west of 27th Avenue are encouraged to use the Great Highway.
Sunset and Richmond Districts – 6 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- North and south access through Golden Gate Park should use Great Highway, Kezar, or 19th Avenue/Park Presidio. Expect significant delays.
- In Golden Gate Park, southbound Crossover Dr., JFK Dr. from Great Highway to Kezar, MLK Jr. Way from Lincoln to Crossover Dr., Transverse Dr., and Stow Lake Dr. will be closed from 5:00 am to approx. 11:30 am.
Upper Haight Street – 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- North and south access across Upper Haight Street should use Kezar Drive (from or to Lincoln off Oak and Fell). Expect significant delays.
Lower Haight Street – 6:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
- North and south access across Lower Haight Street should use Steiner or Fillmore. Expect significant delays.
Market Street – 6:30 a.m. to noon
- Westbound and Eastbound travel on, and access to, Market Street at Duboce Ave. and Guerrero Street should expect significant delays.
Mission & Potrero Districts: 15th, 16th, & 17th Streets – 6:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Northbound and southbound traffic needing to cross over 15th, 16th, and 17th streets should use Highway 280 or Highway 101 whenever possible. Crossovers are also available at some city streets where significant delays should be expected: Valencia, South Van Ness, Folsom, Bryant, or Potrero Street.
Third Street Detour – 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Impacted between 20th and 23rd Streets.
- Southbound traffic should use westbound 20th Street overpass to southbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 23rd Street to Third Street. Northbound traffic should use Cesar Chavez to northbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 20th Street to Third Street. Expect significant delays.
South Beach Area – 7 am to 12:30 pm
- Terry Francois Blvd. will be closed.