The 39th annual Carnaval celebration gets underway today in the Mission District. The neighborhood festival will take place on Harrison Street from 16th Street to 24th Street, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
The following closures are happening now through Monday morning:
- Harrison Street between 16th and 24th streets
- 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd and Mariposa streets between Treat Avenue and Alabama Street
- 19th , 20th and 21st streets between Alabama and Folsom streets
- Treat Avenue between 16th and 21st streets
- Mistral Street between Harrison Street and Treat Avenue
- Harrison Street at Mariposa, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd and Mistral, streets
- Treat Avenue at 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st and Mistral streets
Temporary Taxi Stand: There will be a temporary taxi stand on the west side of Harrison Street (between 1940 and 1962) during Carnaval.
According to SFMTA, “There will be no impact on Muni service.”
Parade begins at 9:30 a.m. Assembly for it will start at 5 a.m. and the parade will finish by 4 p.m. Route: The parade will head west on 24th Street from Harrison Street, north on Mission Street and east on 17th Street, and end up in the area along 17th Street, South Van Ness Avenue and 15th Street.
Cross traffic along Bryant Street where parade staging will be allowed until 9 a.m.
Streets will open to traffic after the parade passes by.
SFMTA goes on to note, “No public parking will be available for this event. Event and parade participants are encouraged to take public transportation.”
The following Muni routes will be affected during the parade:
- 12 Folsom/Pacific
- 14 Mission;
- 14R Mission Rapid
- 27 Bryant
- 33 Ashbury/18th
- 48 Quintara-24th Street
- 49 Van Ness/Mission
- 67 Bernal Heights