In San Francisco, the East Bay, and Silicon Valley, Thursday, May 9 is Bike to Work Day—that special time of year when newbies strap on a helmet, shimmy into a pair of spandex, and hit the road with fellow cyclists. If one isn’t accustomed to riding to and from work, it can be an exhausting, sweaty experience.
Luckily, the San Francisco Bike Coalition is here to help.
Coalition volunteers will be at energizer stations located throughout the city all day handing out free snacks, drinks, and canvas bags full of goodies. (Only available to people riding bikes, by the way.)
In addition to regular folks taking to the streets, be on the look out for city supervisors and other elected officials pedaling with their district’s entourage—a PR must that always proves a sight to behold.
Here’s a list of where and when the group rides will start.
- Bayview: Mendell Plaza, Third Street and Oakdale Avenue (starts at 7:30 a.m.)
- Excelsior: Excelsior Playground, 579 Madrid. (starts at 7:30 a.m.)
- Ingleside: CCSF Campus, 50 Frida Kahlo Way (starts at 7:30 a.m.)
- Marina: Rapha Cycle Club, 2198 Filbert (starts at 7:45 a.m.)
- Mission: Tiffany Wiggle, Valencia and Tiffany (starts at 7:30 a.m.)
- North Beach: Washington Square Park, corner of Powell and Union (starts at 7:45 a.m.)
- Noe Valley / Castro: Noe Valley Town Square, 3861 24th Street (starts at 7:45 a.m.)
- Richmond: SF Public Library: Richmond Branch, 351 Ninth Avenue. (starts at 7:30 a.m.)
- Sunset: Espresso Latte Sandwich, 2401 21st Avenue (starts at 7:30 a.m.)
- Tenderloin: Boedekker Park, 246 Eddy (starts at 7:45 a.m.)
- Western Addition: Ella Hill Hutch Community Center, 1050 McAllister (starts at 7:45 a.m.)
Here’s a map of all the energizing stations for Bike to Work Day 2019.
San Francisco map
Silicon Valley map
East Bay map
Rookie cyclists can learn the ins and outs of biking care of our beginner’s guide to biking in the city.
There will be a Bike to Work rally on the steps of City Hall starting at 8:30 a.m.