clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Donald Trump owns part of 555 California

New, 2 comments

Controversial President-elect owns part of iconic San Francisco structure

Here's a wonky fact about our President-elect: 555 California, formerly known as the Bank of America Center, is owned in part by the Trump Organization, a corporation controlled and managed by Donald Trump and three of his offspring—Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Eric Trump.

To be exact, Trump purchased only 30 percent of San Francisco's second tallest building. The other 70 percent is owned and managed by Vornado Realty Trust.

Before becoming (in)famous for his vitriolic political campaigning and subsequent victory over Hillary Clinton, Tump made a name for himself in New York's real estate game. The Trump Organization occupies hundreds of properties and entities throughout the world.

Lest we forget, 555 California was also the location for 1974's disaster flick The Towering Inferno, starring Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. Many of the scenes were filmed in the interior ground-floor lobby. The iconic skyscraper was also featured in the beginning of 1971's Dirty Harry.

As of last week, a few people have now taken to social media to voice their displeasure over the country's current President-elect, using 555 California as a backdrop.