Last week, we revealed the design of a nine-story condo building planned for 1699 Market Street, the location of Flax Art & Design's flagship store. This week, there's more Flax-related news: Hoodline reports that the store's last day at that location will be Saturday.
Flax has already opened an outpost in Fort Mason and plans another store in Oakland. We visited the Market Street store recently, and an employee told us the new building in the East Bay "would not be nearly as large."
In a city where closings are a regular thing (SFist just reported the Books Inc. store up the street at 2275 Market will close in June), there's something about this one that seems to have struck a chord with many San Franciscans.
Hoodline reports that Flax been at the Market Street location for 39 years.
- When FLAX is Winnowed Away, This Could be What Will Replace It [Curbed SF]
- Saturday Is Flax Art & Design's Final Day On Market Street [Hoodline]
- Flax Art & Design Opens Up Its New Fort Mason Home [Curbed SF]
- Flax Art Supply Store's Big New Location is in Oakland [Curbed SF]
- Another SF Bookstore Bites The Dust: Books Inc. In The Castro [Curbed SF]