Lately the only new members of our increasingly sparsely populated Under $500K Club are studios with Murphy beds in the living room. At 495 square feet, this latest specimen is more spacious than both Nob Hill closets that are asking prospective buyers to sleep with their shoes. Unit 3, a corner studio at the triplex at 4400 19th Street, has a built-in bench, a self-consciously worn brick fireplace, a kitchen large enough for a small table, and a remodeled bath with hex tile and a clawfoot tub. The bathroom even has a window, something that $2.3 million one-bedrooms can't always get right. The condo is looking for $495K, an even $1,000 per square.
As it turns out, the entire triplex has been recently overhauled, and unit 3 is on the market alongside the one-bedroom unit 1 and the four-bedroom unit 2. The entire building will set buyers back $2.485 million, equivalent to the combined list prices of the three apartments. The building's listing notes that all three have been converted to condos, and so could be rented at market rates in perpetuity. Translation: if no one pays enough over asking for the three separate units, we may be seeing the studio reappear on Craigslist for, what, $4,000/month?
· Under $500K Club Archives [Curbed SF]
· 330-Square-Foot Studio with Closet-Bed Asks $379K in Nob Hill [Curbed SF]
· For $399,000, Sleep in a Very Fine Nob Hill Closet [Curbed SF]
· 4400 19th St, # 3 [Pacific Union]
· 4400 19th St, # 2 [Pacific Union]
· 4400 19th St, #1 [Pacific Union]
· 4400 19th St [Pacific Union]