clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Church of God Tears it Down to Build it Back Up

New, 1 comment


The Church of God congregation has plans to demo the existing church at 3155 Cesar Chavez in favor of a new building. The church expansion has been on the boards since the early 1990s, but is now set to get approvals from the Planning Commission tomorrow. Built in 1922, the existing building was a key making foundry and a concrete statue factory before it was converted to a church in 1972. The two-story 11,760 sq.ft. proposed building would hold 234 seats, two multi-purpose rooms, two conference rooms, five offices, and a kitchen. Neighbors have the typical concerns about parking, but the Planning Department doesn't seemed worried since the neighboring elementary school has authorized use of their white zone spaces on Sundays and the church provides a shuttle. We wish we had some flashier color renderings of the new building, but the elevations will have to do.
· Conditional Use - 3155 Cesar Chavez (pdf) [SF Planning]