Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait.
Fashion's Night Out, Vogue magazine editor-in-chief Anna Wintour's brainchild in 2008 for reinvigorating fashion retail after the recession, is pretty much taking over the world tonight. Enthusiasm for the event, whether because it's an occasion to shop or an excuse to party down, has only increased and spread further across the globe every year. San Francisco is no exception! Last week we told you about the various Bay Area Neiman Marcus celebrations, the Westfield Shopping Centre shenanigans and Fillmore fetes (don't worry we've pasted those in this week's Racked for your convenience), and we're adding a plethora of events to the list this week. Rest assured that wherever you might live in the Bay Area, you won't have to go far for some FNO festivities.
1. Union Square: Have you checked out the spanking new Kurt Geiger shoe store yet? It just opened in July and it's not to be missed. You'll find styles from prim to supremely funky, and the brand's first U.S. location is going all out for FNO. Besides debuting their fall line "Pretty vs Punk," guests spending $75 or more will get faux eyelashes, one lucky guest will win "Everything but the Dress:" a pair of shoes, a bag, a pair of sunglasses, and two accessories, everything in the store is 20 percent off, and anyone who buys anything will get a free accessory. Local DJ and Live 105 guru Aaron Axelsen is DJing, and cocktails from Distillery No. 209 plus champagne will be a-flowing. I think you now know where you'll be from 5 to 9pm tonight: 250 Stockton Street.
2. Union Square: In anticipation of it's upcoming San Francisco store, Uniqlo has opened a pop-up on Post where they're hosting a panel of fashion and technology experts tonoght. Tix are still available but there are only 50 spots available (RSVP for the free event here) to hear words of wisdom from Uniqlo COO Yasunobu Kyoguku, blogger Brit Morin, and Refinery 29 senior editor Katie Hintz-Zambrano. Check it out tonight at 6pm at 117 Post Street. [Uniqlo SF]
3. Union Square: H&M is throwing a party, and if you go you could win VIP tickets to see Lana Del Rey, that controversial crooner and latest H&M lookbook model. Party it up and enter to win tonight from 6 to 9pm at 150 Powell Street, 415-986-4215.
4. Union Square: This one's for the big spenders: Saks Fifth Avenue is giving away a 50-minute treatment at The Spa at Mandarin Oriental with your purchase
of $1,000 or more. Shop until you... get a spa treatment! Tonight from 6 to 8pm at 384 Post Street, 415-986-4300. [Refinery 29]
5. Union Square: One of our fave local online pubs, The Bold Italic is curating a fashion closet at Macy's tonight on the Impulse floor. If their street style round ups are any indication, their style picks should not be missed! Especially since they'll include local jewelry line Salty Fox. Macy's also has lots more in store including a denim-stitching workshop, DIY nail-art hosted by Pams & Kin and hair tutorials from Cinta Salon. It's a one-stop FNO extravaganza from 6 to 9pm at 170 O'Farrell Street, 415-397-3333. [The Bold Italic]
6. Union Square: There's a ton more going on in Union Square tonight! Check out the full list here.
7. Hayes Valley: Azalea will host a trunk show for 2 Bandits featuring their antique brass, silver, and gold pieces. If you spend $150, you'll get 15 percent off! While you peruse the baubles you'll be serenaded by DJ Manics and plied with snacks from Straw. It's tonight from 6 to 8pm at 411 Hayes Street, 415-861-9888. [Refinery 29]
8. Hayes Valley Clog on down the street to Rand + Statler's Swedish Hasbeens Pop-Up, co-hosted by Refinery 29 senior editor and all around lovely person Katie Hintz-Zambrano (busy lady!). Get 15 percent off when you spend $250 or more. Do it tonight from 6 to 8pm at 425 Hayes Street, 415-634-0881. [Refinery 29]
9. Golden Gate Park: The California Academy of Science's weekly NightLife party has a fashion theme this week (naturally!). Tons of local designers, a vintage collection, and even a bit of education on fashion and ornamentation's roles in ancient culture from Academy anthropologists will be on tap. For all that, tickets are just $12! Tonight from 6 to 10 at the The California Academy of Sciences, 55 Music Concourse Drive, Golden Gate Park; 415-379-8000. [Stylenik]
10. Palo Alto: Crimson Mim's Thursdays speaker series is hosting a special event for FNO featuring a talk and trunk show from the duo behind local eco-fashion line Amour Vert, the shop's best selling collection yet. Check out the beautiful line anytime between 3 and 7pm, and catch the presentation from the ladies of Amour Vert from 6 to 7pm at 855 El Camino Real, Suite 35, Palo Alto, 650-323-2277. [Crimson Mim on Facebook]
11. Marin: Berkeley-based designer Erica Tanov is teaming up with the Marin Country Mart for the opening party of the Creative Growth Pop Up Gallery where you'll find art, apparel, and furniture created by local artists. Shop and view tonight from 6 to 9pm at 2403 Larkspur Landing Circle in Larkspur. [Creative Growth
And don't forget the ones we told you about last week:
12. Union Square: The Westfield San Francisco Centre at 865 Market Street has a Fashion's Night Out shindig planned from 5:30 until 8:30, with retailers in the downtown mall (Aveda, Juicy Couture, J.Crew, Madewell, White House Black Market and Karen Millen and lots more) staying open late and offering snacks and drinks. And for just $10 you can get VIP treatment at a special reception under Westfield's awesome dome on level four. The money will go to ArtPoint, and you'll get snacks provided by "The Restaurant Collection Under the Dome," plus cocktails! Buy VIP tix here.
13. Union Square: Neiman Marcus and 7x7 magazine are celebrating FNO from 6 to 8pm with collections on view by Academy of Art University designers. Get hair styling tips from Cinta Salon experts in cosmetics on the first floor and be ready for your photobooth-op. Models throughout the store will show off Fall 2012 trends, plus beats & treats. RSVP here. [Neiman Marcus SF]
14. Cow Hollow: On Fillmore from Union to Pixley and on Union from Steiner to Gough, the Fillmore is partnering with ShopNear.Me for a Fashion's Night Out "Fashionably Late" party. On September 6 from 6-9pm boutiques will keep their doors open late and enable your drinking and shopping tendencies. Simply Chic, Chloe Rose, Covet and tons more will participate; see the full (and growing) list here! [Fashionably Late on Facebook]
15. Palo Alto: Neiman Marcus at the Stanford Shopping Center will celebrate Fashion's Night Out from 4 to 7pm with modeling, mocktails and tarot readings. Style experts will help you find your best fall lip color. And for the kids they'll have digital caricatures and a treasure hunt. RSVP here. [The Stunning Post]
16. Walnut Creek: The beautiful new Neiman Marcus in Walnut Creek is co-hosting an FNO party with Diablo magazine from 6 to 9pm next Thursday September 6. The party will feature "Rapid Runway" fashion shows at 6:30 and 7:30pm featuring collections from Bay Area artists, plus beats, bites and bubbly. RSVP here. [The Stunning Post]