Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait
As usual we've got your shopping party circuit all mapped out. This coming week is pretty special, with some New York City fashiony types descending on the Bay Area. And there are tons of opportunities to figure out what you're wearing (or not wearing) to the Folsom Street Fair!
1. Jackson Square: La Boutique is hosting an exclusive launch party and trunk show for SF shoemaker Freda Salvador (the booties are to die) tonight. In fact, it's so exclusive that the guest list is super tight. Try your luck by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. It's surely worth a try, La Boutique's bi-level space in all its Frenchiness is amazing for a fete! The footwear festivities are tonight from 6 to 8pm at 414 Jackson Street (at Sansome).
2. Mission: This is major: Andrea Linett, Lucky magazine co-founder and current global creative director of Michael Kors is coming to Mira Mira to launch her new book I Want To Be Her! It's an offshoot of her site of the same name, and Mira is throwing what will surely be a memorable celebration for the ocassion featuring delish bevvies and treats from Black Jet Baking Co. The festivities are next Thursday, September 27 from 6 to 9pm at 3293 22nd Street. RSVP is required! [Stylenik]
3. Hayes Valley: Score! Pop Up Swap is coming to San Francisco, and they're coming for your shoes, accessories and vinyl record albums. Bring your no-longer-wanted items in those categories, and take home whatever strikes your fancy. To make it even more fun, the swap is being held at The Bold Italic headquarters. DJ Ginger will serenade you during the swap action, and you can chow on food truck fare, drink drinks, and check out some screenprinting. Get advance tix for $5 here, a limited number will be available at the door for $10. Bring your stuff to 34 Page Street (between Franklin and Gough) this Saturday, September 22 from 1 to 4 p.m. [Stylenik]
4. Union Square: The Designer Spotlight series, Britex's celebration of 60 years in business, is coming to an end, y'all! The finale is tonight and focuses on menswear and shirtmaking. It's from 7 to 9pm at Britex, 146 Geary Street. Mingle with talented designers and tailors, and choose the perfect collaborator for that custom garment you've been dreaming of. RSVP here! [Britex]
5. Financial District We talked about Wingtip's new men's retail fortress last week but we wanted to remind you about their festivities next Thursday September 27. All day from 10am until 6pm they'll have champagne and prizes for shoppers, and special guests! [Wingtip]
7. East Bay: Oakland has a spankin' new and rustically gorgeous collective shop called Oak Common. Ogle this slideshow for some major eye candy. And you might as well stop by next time your over there for some super-soft t-shirts, baubles and lots more! [Refinery 29]
8. East Bay: NYC-based online retailer Of A Kind is coming to the Bay Area! Owner Lauren Wolf is throwing a shindig for some of our best indie designers including the folks behind Ali Golden, Lina Rennell, Rebecca Overmann, and Jessica Winzelberg. It's happening tonight at Esqueleto, from 5:30 to 8:30pm, 482 49th Street (between Clarke Street and Telegraph) in Oakland. Don't forget to RSVP!
9. Online: Tasty Ties has launched a line of adorable bow-ties with a design to represent every neighborhood in San Francisco. Just in time for the Folsom Street Fair coming up this weekend, you can get one in leather, with spikes! [Tasty Ties]
10. SoMa: The Vintage Fashion Expo is bringing amazingness from the likes of Bill Blass, Lanvin, and Chanel to the Concourse Exhibition Center on Saturday, September 22 and Sunday, September 23 from 10am to 6pm. If you have not died go to 635 Eighth Street (at Brannan) [Refinery 29]