Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait.
Whether you'll be donning Fendi or a fake fur-festooned costume straight from Burning Man, a fun time for all is in store (literally!) for next Thursday's (Sept. 6) Fashion's Night Out. Now in its fourth year, Anna Wintour's late-night shopping extravaganza has spread all over the world, and San Francisco retailers, from our smallest local boutiques to our giant department stores, will offer up tons of late-night shopping, champagne-sipping and fashion-y mingling. In the meantime, there are plenty of in-store shopping and sale events to get you ready for the big night. In fact, we're guessing you might do more actual shopping in the days leading up to FNO, and more imbibing and socializing than shopping on the big night. Either way, prepare your champers-drinking muscles!
1. Castro: Fiat Lux, that little boutique at 218 Church Street, is hosting a fete dubbed "Snakeskin Kaleidoscope" on Friday evening from 5 until 11pm. The event will celebrate work by Katie Evans, an Oakland-based jeweler whose line Hart Variations has a new addition: pieces incorporating a multi-colored snakeskin. Sounds intriguing, no? It totally is; get a sneak peak at what she's created on the Fiat Lux blog. In addition to rainbow snakeskin, there will be beverages! [Fiat Lux on Facebook]
2. Union Square: The Westfield San Francisco Centre at 865 Market Street has a Fashion's Night Out shindig planned from 5:30 until 8:30, with retailers in the downtown mall (Aveda, Juicy Couture, J.Crew, Madewell, White House Black Market and Karen Millen and lots more) staying open late and offering snacks and drinks. And for just $10 you can get VIP treatment at a special reception under Westfield's awesome dome on level four. The money will go to ArtPoint, and you'll get snacks provided by "The Restaurant Collection Under the Dome," plus cocktails! Buy VIP tix here.
3. Union Square: Neiman Marcus and 7x7 magazine are celebrating FNO from 6 to 8pm with collections on view by Academy of Art University designers. Get hair styling tips from Cinta Salon experts in cosmetics on the first floor and be ready for your photobooth-op. Models throughout the store will show off Fall 2012 trends, plus beats & treats. RSVP here. [Neiman Marcus SF]
4. Cow Hollow: On Fillmore from Union to Pixley and on Union from Steiner to Gough, the Fillmore is partnering with ShopNear.Me for a Fashion's Night Out "Fashionably Late" party. On September 6 from 6-9pm boutiques will keep their doors open late and enable your drinking and shopping tendencies. Simply Chic, Chloe Rose, Covet and tons more will participate; see the full (and growing) list here! [Fashionably Late on Facebook]
5. Noe Valley: Curator, a local go-to for fun basics, is throwing a good old fashioned Labor Day bin sale at 1767 Church Street at 30th from 11am until 7pm. Experimental samples, overstock and slightly flawed pieces will be $10 and $20. Come with cash in hand and be ready to dig! [Curator on Facebook]
6. Palo Alto: Neiman Marcus at the Stanford Shopping Center will celebrate Fashion's Night Out from 4 to 7pm with modeling, mocktails and tarot readings. Style experts will help you find your best fall lip color. And for the kids they'll have digital caricatures and a treasure hunt. RSVP here. [The Stunning Post]
7. Walnut Creek: The beautiful new Neiman Marcus in Walnut Creek is co-hosting an FNO party with Diablo magazine from 6 to 9pm next Thursday September 6. The party will feature "Rapid Runway" fashion shows at 6:30 and 7:30pm featuring collections from Bay Area artists, plus beats, bites and bubbly. RSVP here. [The Stunning Post]
8. Berkeley: If instead of heading to the desert to set things afire for Labor Day you're doing pretty much the opposite and getting ready to start a new corporate job, don't miss the Keneuoe trunk show on Saturday at Rue Atelier at 2981 College Avenue in Berkeley. You can score stylish and unboring jackets, tops and suits from the Oakland-based line's Executive Fall Collection. Treats and champagne will sweeten the deal! [SF Indie Fashion and Keneuoe on Facebook]
9. Alamo Square: Local blogger Carlina Harris of Allergic to Vanilla is hosting a Stella & Dot styling party in Alamo Square Park on Friday afternoon from 5:30 to 7:30. Roll up at the corner of Steiner and Hayes Streets to check out Stella & Dot's new Fall 2012 jewelry collection, get styling tips, and of course partake of drinks and nibbles. If you can't make it live and in person, shop the event online for special deals! [Summer Style in the Park on Facebook]
10. Union Square: And another thing for the buttoned up among us: Jos. A. Bank Clothiers has signed a lease for a new flagship store in San Francisco at the former Men's Wearhouse location downtown. The two-level, 6,600-square-foot space is at 601 Market Street. Men's Wearhouse, meanwhile, has consolidated two locations into one at 785 Market Street. [San Franacisco Business Times]