Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait.
Are you getting ready for fashion week in San Francisco or beyond? You can perfect your pose, learn how to style yourself, and purchase some on-sale duds at a slew of fashion-y events happening this week. And stay tuned for San Francisco's Fashion's Night Out events, which we'll let you in over the next two Thursdays!
1. Mission:: Photobooth is kind of like Instagram in real life. They create old-timey but somehow also modern-looking tintype and Polaroid portraits worthy of framing for your wall. And it's their one-year anniversary! They're celebrating by shooting lots of photos, serving lots of beverages from Saint George Spirits and Speakeasy Brewery, and according to them, instigating lots of shenanigans. There will also be a "super secret mystery surprise!" Who could resist? Get in on the fun tomorrow night, Friday, August 24 from 7-11pm at 1193 Valencia Street. [Photobooth on Facebook]
2. Union Square: That bastion of folksy chic, Anthropologie, is selling a new collection for the littler ladies among us, and they're celebrating today and tomorrow with an all-day petites trunk show from 10am until 8pm. Tonight at 6pm they're throwing cocktails into the mix from 6 to 8pm. Drinks and Anthro shopping? We're so in! RSVP at email@example.com.
3. Palo Alto: Every celeb has a stylist these days, but that's because they can afford to throw lots of cash at their style problems. But all is not lost for us civilians. Tonight, the folks at Crimson Mim, purveyors of 3.1 Philip Lim, Graham & Spencer, Whit, and lots more covetable brands, will teach you how to take matters into your own hands. Darlene Dull, wardrobe stylist and fashion director at Sole Society will be on hand to share her best tips and tricks for becoming your own stylist as part of the boutique's Thursday nights speaker series. Listen and learn from 6-7 at the shop's Town and Country Shopping Center location at 855 El Camino Real, Suite 35 in Palo Alto. Stylists? We don't need no stinking stylists! [Crimson Mim on Facebook]
4. Tenderloin: The 'loin's newest vintage boutique is hosting a celebration of five years of San Francisco street style photography Fashionist. It's the site's fifth anniversary, and the first solo photo show for Mai Le, Fashionist's founder. This is one of the few fashion parties in the city to actually rock on past 10pm, which is when the Young Prisms will just be getting going. Wine and Bruce Cost Fresh Ginger Ale will be served! [Fashionist on Facebook]
5. Cow Hollow: End of summer sales are pretty much wrapping up, but you can catch the last of Conifer's, where brands like Dieppa Restrepo, Steven Alan, and Ymc are up to 70-percent off. Get your sale on through next Friday August 28 plus check out new fall arrivals at 2838 Webster. [Refinery 29]
6. SOMA: Derco Fine Jewelry has been a local mainstay since 1939, and they know from old-school customer services. But they're also keeping up with the times with a Facebook giveaway. Get a chance to win a 14-karat white gold diamond and pink tourmaline pendant by liking their Facebook page and sharing it with your friends! [7x7]
7. Cow Hollow: Ruby Livingdesign is moving its furniture showroom from 180 Townsend St. to a whole different part of the city: 1521 Union Street in Cow Hollow. That means deep discounts on clearance items at the SOMA location on brands including Mitchell Gold+Bob Williams, Oly, Hickory Chair, Verellen and lots more now through August 27! [7x7]