Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait.
Did someone say end of summer? That makes us sad. But San Franciscans know that the end of summer to everyone else is actually the beginning of our summer weather. See, it's not so bad! Plus, shops are marking down their goods for the occasion, and Uniqlo is single-handedly improving our local job market with a slew of new sales associate positions becoming available this fall. With enough sunshine, sale shopping, and employment, we should be able to make it through this seasonal transition without too much angst.
[The Curiosity Shoppe via Erin Kunkel]
1. Mission: You know The Curiosity Shoppe is a super fun shop in the Mission for finding unique gifts and home stuff, right? Well it just got even more fun with a pop-up shop focusing on outdoor games you can play while camping, picnicking, barbecuing or what have you, designed by local outdoors enthusiasts, Alite. "The Pursuit of Leisure: An Alite Pop-Up Shop" launches tomorrow, July 27th. And of course they're launching the shop with a fete where you can actually play some of the games, including a custom-made cornhole board and a bottle-cap archery target. Alite has also curated an assortment of bags, chairs, utensils, and other essentials for your outdoor excursions. Bring your competitive spirit, or be ready to down some beverages to bring it out, on Friday from 6 to 9pm at 855 Valencia Street. [Alite Designs]
2. Union Square: We're all very excited to shop at the upcoming new Uniqlo, which we reported will be opening in Union Square this fall. And if you're looking for a new gig, get even more excited. Uniqlo San Francisco is hiring 500 (500!) sales associates for the San Francisco team. [Uniqlo Careers]
3. Mission: The Bell Jar, one of the Mission's prettiest boutiques, is offering up to 65 percent off summer apparel. This works out well to prepare for the upcoming (fingers crossed) summery weather come September. Save on brands including Eskell, Dolce Vita, Corey Lynn Calter, Line and Dot, Popomomo and lots more. It all started yesterday at 3187 16th Street and continues through August 5. [The Bell Jar]
4. Sunset: Mollusk Surf Shop isn't just hanging Jay Nelson's ocean-inspired paintings on their walls for their new exhibit. They're housing it in a custom wooden structure (built by Nelson, who also created the submarine at Voyager), complete with custom lighting. Catch the show now through September 1 at 4500 Irving Street at 45th. [Refinery 29]
5. Mission: The Juniper Ridge Field Lab Van is an oversized '80s vehicle outfitted with a home-grown lab, complete with stills and other brewing equipment. But it's not a Breaking Bad situation--this van cooks up plants and oils to create a custom, signature fragrance just for you. On Saturday, you can find the Juinper Ridge perfume chemists outside of Gravel & Gold, 3266 21st Street between Valencia and Mission, 1 to 5pm. [Refinery 29]
6. Mission: Wonderland SF, a combination art gallery and boutique, is hosting a reception on Friday to celebrate a new crop of artists decorating its walls. The shindig is happening from 6 to 10 pm at the Wonderland SF space at 2929 24th Street, between Florida and Alabama. The theme of the new show is "Something Like Oz," and if their flyer is any indication, we're guessing they take Dorothy's story in a slightly dark direction. We approve! [Wonderland SF]
7. Noe Valley: LOFT 1513 Boutique is hosting a fancy party tonight with music, drinks, treats and a "live window fashion show." We think that means live mannequins, who will be wearing clothing from independent local designers. You'll enjoy "exotic" cocktails by Kira Buck, hors d'oeuvres by Chelsea Wilske, and world vibes by DJ Joey Alaniz. The "Mid Summer's Fashion Soiree" is happening tonight from 6 to 10pm at 3927 24th Street. [Loft 1513]
8. Santa Clara:Are you in the South Bay and in search of fancy undies? You are in luck. Wolford is opening up a shiny new shop in the Westfield Valley Fair Mall on Monday, July 30. If you're looking for a Spanx alternative, their shapers are super pretty, and they also carry luxe hosiery and lingerie. [Wolford]