Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait.
It's clear that summer is getting into full swing in San Francisco, thanks to the fickle sunshine too quickly replaced by chilly fog. Maybe you're one of those who loves San Francisco fog? In that case we think you'll very much enjoy bundling up for the Summer Art Walk and the many other events and sales happening around the city. Enjoy!
1. Mission: Heath Ceramics has opened up shop in San Francisco, where you'll find their handcrafted but beautifully modern pottery. To celebrate, Heath is throwing an opening reception that will feature work by Aiko Nukaga on Saturday from 5 to 9pm, and they're hosting a throwing demonstration on Sunday at 2pm! It's all going down at 2900 18th Street at Florida. [Refinery 29]
2. Western Edition: The Divisadero Artwalk is back, tonight! Venues on Divisidero from Haight to McAllister streets will open their doors late, most until about 10pm for the Summer Artwalk, featuring art, clothing designers, food, drinks, and music. New additions to the festivities include Rare Device, San Franpsycho, Workspace and Four Barrel. There will also be a mini Indie Mart at The Independent featuring 25 local vendors. Pray for the fog to stay away! Or bring a scarf. [Artwalk Facebook page]
3. Castro: For the well-dressed dudes among you, or for those who aspire to be (now is your chance), Unionmade's annual 40-percent-off sale is on now! One of the best menswear stores anywhere has slashed prices on brands including Billy Reid Heirloom, Gant, Gitman Vintage, New Balance, Patagonia, Woolrich and tons more. [Unionmade]
4. Bernal Heights: Secession Art and Design has a spanking new selection of art, clothing and jewelry, including Sharon Zimmerman's lovely pieces made of 18-karat gold, white gold and sterling silver--often at least a couple metals mixed--that are both earthy and elegant at the same time. [Secession Art and Design]
5. Cow Hollow: You can now get your mitts on the goods available at Chloe Rose from anywhere in the country. The Union Street women's wear shop, where you can always find a fresh supply of MiH denim, C & C California tees and Parker dresses, has just launched an online shop. [Refinery 29]
6. Palo Alto: Planning a vacation soon? You're probably looking forward to the relaxation but dreading the packing. The South Bay's Crimson Mim would like to help. The boutique is kicking off a summer speaker series on July 19th on the topic of efficient packing for summer travel. Check it out at 855 El Camino Real, Suite 35, in Palo Alto's Town & Country Village from 6-7pm, and stay tuned for their future talks on topics from jewelry curation to becoming your own personal stylist. [Crimson Mim]