Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait.
The big news this week is Mulberry, that British bastion of luxury leather goods, chose to open its first West Coast outpost in San Francisco. Which we'd like to point out is not Los Angeles. There's also some decent sale shopping to be done this week, so get your wallets ready!
1. Union Square: Super fancy Brit bag-maker Mulberry opened its first West Coast doors this week in San Francisco's Union Square at 166 Grant. Mulberry and Vogue hosted a shindig last night to celebrate the 3,100-quare-foot, three-story (plus mezzanine) space where they'll be selling their drool-worthy leather goods. Judging by the jam-packed, line-out-the-door party, enthusiasm for the retailer is high! Five locals from Vogue's "100 List" co-hosted: Jennifer Siebel Newsom, Connie Nielsen, Sabrina Buell, Rachael Mann and Mackenzie Burdick. Model royalty Maggie Rizer also graced the lovely space, which was designed in collab with Universal Design Studio. [Mulberry]
2. Haight: Online retailer Black Pyramid is collecting its things and bringing them to the world of brick and mortar for a pop-up shop at Piper's Shoe Parlor on Friday from 6 to 9 pm at 1682 Haight Street at Cole. It's an excellent chance to check out Black Pyramid's covetable offerings up close and personal—plus have a cocktail and get 25 percent off all vintage and up to 50 percent off shoes! [Refinery 29]
3. Union Square: "The Sweets Stylist" Amy Atlas is in town tonight signing her new cokbook Sweet Designs: Bake It, Craft It, Style It, and discussing how you too can make prettier desserts. [Williams Sonoma]
4. Hayes Valley: Feast your eyes on 7x7's top seven footwear picks from local shoe purveyor Gimme Shoes. If you like what you see, snap them up at 416 or 381 Hayes, or at the 2358 Fillmore location. [7x7]
5. Mission: Sunday Streets this week is in the Mission! Wander the hood's streets sans autos and check out the wears in its famously indie shops on Valencia Street from 14th to 24th and 24th Street from Valencia to Hampshire. [Sunday Streets]
6. Mill Vallley: Another book signing! Erica Tanov is hosting one on Saturday from 11am until 2pm with Ngoc Minh Ngo for her beautiful images of rustic flower arrangements set in modern abodes in a new book called Bringing Nature Home, co-authored by Nicolette Owen of Brooklyn’s Little Flower School. It's happening at Tanov's lovely Marin boutique at 2415 Larkspur Landing near Drake's Way. [Refinery 29]