Welcome to Racked SF, where local fashion blogger Kristen Philipkoski reports on retail comings and goings around San Francisco. Phiipkoski has been living and shopping in San Francisco for 20 years, and she blogs about it over at Stylenik.com. Seen a store open, close, or otherwise claim your attention? Hit the tipline, s'il vous plait.
Summer is officially here as of 7:09 yesterday evening, and the fog may be rolling in but San Francisco boutiques are in full-on sale and party mode. Your champagne and cupcake quota will be easily met this week.
[Photo via Ornament & Oddity's]
1. Hayes Valley: We just caught wind from a hardcore neighborhood local that as of this month on Sundays and the occassional Saturday, an unassuming garage at 627 Hayes St. transforms into a magical place called Ornament and Oddity. Indeed they seem to carry some truly odd but well-curated items that would certainly assert your individuality at home. [Ornament and Oddity on Facebook, thanks Jensul!]
2. Noe Valley/Fillmore/Union Square: Gallery of Jewels is hosting a Summer of Love event featuring 15 high-end jewelry makers. Five desigers will be featured at each of GOJ's three boutiques at 427 Post St. at Powell, 2115 Fillmore at California, and 4089 24th St. at Castro. There's never been a better time to drop a hint. [Styelnik]
3. Hayes Valley: The handbag makers behind local label Herringbone are teaming up with Hayes Valley boutique Dish at their 541 Hayes St. location for a fete where you can procure a signature rose-gold-zippered clutch while sipping bubbly and snacking on yummies. Eating + drinking + shopping locally = our kind of party. [Refinery 29]
4. NOPA: Rare Device is hosting a summer trunk show at their 600 Divisadero Street shop featuring Elizabeth Street Cosmetics and L'aromatica perfume. Both are local, both are delicious. It's all happening on Friday, June 22 from 6 to 8pm. [California Home and Design]
5. SoMa: Irene Hernandez-Feiks is throwing another big event with Chillin' Productions to celebrate the group's 14th Anniversary. The shindig is on Saturday, June 23 at 8pm at Mezzanine (444 Jessie Street), and will feature 200 artists, 80 fashion designers, video installations, live painting, music and, of course, beverages. This one is 21 and over, sorry young friends! [Chillin' Productions]
6. North Beach/Hayes Valley: ACRE/SF in North Beach and its sister boutique Acrimony in Hayes Valley are having a blow-out sale on uber-cool brands like Rachel Comey, Opening Ceremony, Funktional and Cheap Monday up to 40 percent off. The sale includes men's clothes, and you can also shop online! [Stylenik]
7. Fillmore/Hayes Valley/Cow Hollow: With all these summer sales, which one will you choose to patronize? As many as possible seems the reasonable answer. Cotelac, Nida and Conifer are all ringing in the official beginning of summer by slashing prices. [Refinery 29]
8. Cow Hollow: The previously tiny boutique Marmalade is celebrating new, bigger digs at 1843 Union St. this evening from 5 to 9pm with champagne, cupcakes and 15 percent off your entire purchase. Bonus: giveaways and raffles! [Marmalade on Facebook]
9. Everywhere: De Young Museum curator of costume and textile arts Jill D'Alessandro--the woman responsible for bringing us the amazing Vivienne Westwood, YSL, Balenciaga and Gaultier exhibit--shares her top picks for San Francisco shopping. We concur! [7x7]