Plans to develop a multi-unit apartment complex at 1285 Sutter St.--a site eyed for development since 2007-- have swirled like glo-sticks at a rave, only with less endurance. Yet now, powered by the very green energy of Portland's eco-friendly Gerding Edlen Development Company, construction is go. In fact, it's going already, and according to the San Francisco Business Times, the current resident (that sad, shambolic Galaxy Theater) will take "45 days to erase from the landscape," while the new building, planned as a 107-unit high rise, will take 22 months to construct. Leasing is expected in early 2013. Not expected, however, is the previously promised Trader Joes, whose lease in the original deal expired and who subsequently opened for trading at California and Hyde. Another grocer is expected for this project; we can only hope it's one with Trader Joe-like deals on booze and cheese.
· Showtime for Gerding Edlen Sutter St. project [San Francisco Business Times]
· Development Watch: 1285 Sutter Street [Curbed SF]
· Welcome, Trader Joe's: 1285 Sutter Street Approved [Curbed SF]
· Van Ness TJ's Eats Humble Pie [Curbed SF]
· Gerding Edlen Development Company, LLC [website]