Has the end arrived for Berkeley's tree-sitters? Really? An appeals court ruled yesterday that UC Berkeley can finally go ahead with that stadium they've been itching for almost two years to build. Protesters first climbed into the oak grove's branches in December 2006, and have been engaged in a war of attrition with Cal officials ever since— zip lines were deployed, grandmothers denied, and a Dumpster Muffin threw in the towel. No word from the four remaining tree-sitters yet (probably too tree-bound for interviews). Tree warriors are hopeful they can get an emergency injunction against Cal, but it sounds like the game is more or less played. Cal officials are working on an extraction plan for the sitters, and will likely issue a 72-hour ultimatum before attempting a removal. The End...?!
· Court: Uc Berkeley Can Build Athletic Center [Daily Californian]
· Tree Sitters, Meet Chainsaws [Curbed SF]
· Treesitters Launch Black Ops Unit [Curbed SF]
· Cal Says No to Grandmas' Love [Curbed SF]
· Greener Than Thou: Berkeley (Finally) Cuts Down Treehuggers [Curbed SF]