The phrase "suspension of disbelief"comes to mind here: Santa Clara has designated $500,000 in redevelopment fundage to hire a consultant and a lawyer to carry on with the San Francisco 49ers stadium negotiations. July 22 has been set as a "soft" deadline for talks with the team, though the proposal (obviously) doesn't prohibit them from negotiating with
Lennar Corp. San Francisco. If the plan moves forward, the city could spend up to $136 million on redevelopment of the site, including the moving of an electrical substation, building of a parking garage and— most importantly— paying off cajoling various land owners and city council members to play according to the game plan. Survey says: doubtful.
· Santa Clara officials set schedule, budget for 49ers stadium deal [SJ Mercury News]
· Giants Seek "Ballpark Village," Ponies [Curbed SF]
· Santa Clara Backpedaling on 49'ers Offer [Curbed SF]
· It's Official: Santa Clara Will Bid for 49ers [Curbed SF]
· Federal Funding to Save the 49ers? [Curbed SF]
[Image courtesy Stadium to Stadium]