Ever notice how Bay Area protesters often tend to stray from the stated issue? However, this rare, vintage variety of Berkeley hippie— not only did he use today's (ongoing) anti-Marine demonstration in Berkeley as an occasion for railing on Bush—while dressed in his best Nelson Mandela-meets-Sally Ross getup, natch— but he also advertised another, future protest while at it. Strategic. Or something. Other reports indicate that Berkeley parents have effectively assuaged their liberal guilt by encouraging their kids to play hooky. Code Pinkers are pinking on as per the norm, and a former Cal tree sitter has even been spotted on the scene. Berkeley, you never fail to inspire a good, hearty rolling of the eyes.
· Snapshots of the Rally on Shattuck [CBS 5]
· Public Throw Down in Berkeley, Protesters on Standby [Curbed SF]
· Berkeley Spins Wheels, Spends its 15 Minutes [Curbed SF]
· Stand Off on Shattuck, Stand Down for Berkeley [Curbed SF]
· Berkeley Ousts Marines, Welcomes Growers [Curbed SF]
[Image courtesy Flickr photog celeteh, via CBS 5]